Sunday, January 22, 2006

A Little Piece of Family History

I found something out about my family this morning that I never knew. My mom (and a WHOLE bunch of other folk) went to visit some land in VA that was left to them by their great grandparents. She told me she discovered while they were down there that her great grandparents, my great great grands, were full blood Indian. I had no idea I was mixed with Native American that close back. I thought it was back much further than that. I used to always think as a child that my grandmother looked like an Indian. She had the prettiest, longest, silkiest black hair I'd ever seen ... until she got sick with cancer that is.

It's very interesting to me knowing where U come from. For instance, I know that on my dad's side of the family, somewhere back along the way I come from Irish descent. I don't quite know where all that comes into play though. I just remember being a kid thinking that my grandfather was white. I didn't understand back then that you could be lightskinned and STILL be black. Funny the way a kid's mind works.

Well, nothing too monumental here, we're all muts in this country pretty much, but I find it extremely interesting nonetheless.

"U might say 'what U mad about?' But U stil got your family name!" - Prince, Family Name

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home